So much has happened here that I haven’t been able to blog about. Apart from the slow internet connection, I have been busy with house chores, new animals and some writing offline.
Last month, we finally got some ducks. I have been asking Penny for a few years now to try and look for some ducks. She visited somebody’s house and saw about half a dozen ducks in their yard and she asked if they were selling any. Apparently they weren’t but they gave Penny special consideration.
So Penny got these ducks – male and female – for about PhP200 a pair. Ducks like these would probably cost between PhP150-300 per pair. Although lately, we’ve seen someone try selling them for PhP500 per pair.
These aren’t really duck ducks. ;) Domesticated ‘duck ducks’ are from mallards while these are Muscovy ducks which belong to the genus cairina. Actually, when I first saw these two I thought of geese and not ducks. These are quiet, giving out a hissy kind of quack, unlike mallard-descended ducks that quack aloud all day.
We’re keeping these ducks in the chicken run in the meantime until they get used to the m place. There’s a large basin of water for them there. We’ve kept the chickens away from these two because I’ve seen two hens bullying them.
In the meantime, here is the rooster that got beaten up in a cock fight when killer rooster escaped. As you can see, this rooster is now in perfect condition, fully recovered. The hens love him and we are getting lots of eggs because of him. Killer rooster is doing pretty good in the henhouse too, lots of eggs there as well.
Then just last week, we finally had a house built for the goats. I have been wanting to have something like this for a long time now since we’ve been keeping Buttercup and Polly in the pig pen. So that we can use the pig pen just for pigs ;) the goats should have their own house. Before, we put the goats under the house, but that resulted to lots of droppings and pee smell about the house.
We might have more goats soon too because now Buttercup is pregnant and we expect two kids by April. Last time, she had only one kid, Polly, but that was her first. Maybe this time, there will be two.
It was Bebe who built the goat house, a task he finished in just a day, then a bit of a relaxing time just weaving the nipa frond roof into place. After that, we tasked him to repair the pig pen as well.
The pig pen was built by Vic, Penny’s dad, nearly 3 years ago. With the rain and the termites, it has been falling apart. Chickens also use the pig pen – the hens like to lay their eggs in the boxes we placed just under the nipa roof. So it’s a useful little thing that should be repaired.
The two piglets – we got them from the market just a couple of weeks ago. We got the spotted one first, Miss Piggie, and then because she was lonely, decided to get another one, Dindin, a week later. :) We plan to keep Miss Piggie as a sow, and then DinDin for … well … dinner …